Tuesday, October 19, 2010

It's been too long...

Hello!
It's been over a year since I posted... odd how life takes us in so many directions. I am now almost 2 years from diagnosis (in November). And yet - that diagnosis is apart of my everyday life. My life never went back to normal - everyday is impacted by my Breast Cancer.
As I mentioned a year ago - I did have reconstruction surgery last year in November. It was horrible. There was so much post-surgical pain. The right side that had been radiated would not/could not stretch. That side was in constant pain. In late December, I developed an infection on that side and they tried treating with antibiotics - that was not successful and on December 22, 2009 - my doctor cut out the tissue expander on the right. That appointment left me stunned and dazed. I was in the doctor's office for a check-up when he decided that the infection was too bad and he made a small incision to check things. He decided that it needed to come out - right there. With no anesthesia or a numbing shot or any warning; he cut me open and ripped out the expander... it was quite horrible. It was an extremely messy sight and too many details would be upseting. The result was one expander was removed without chance of going back in; I was left with a hole in my chest and was told it needed to heal from the inside out and slowly. That was how Christmas went that year - I was very uncomfortable and still quite shocked by the incident. I ended up with another infection in the wound and starting seeing my primary doctor for it - who in turned ordered an at home wound nurse to visit me. I slowly healed over the next few months. It wasn't until March (3 months later) that the hole healed closed. Unfortunately, it healed to my chest wall and left me more scarred.
In February 2010, I attended a Breast Cancer Conference in Atlanta, GA. It was a great weekend and I got to see my sister-in-law and her family while I was there. I also got to meet so many women impacted by B/C and learned many lessons there. I discovered a newer procedure which is only done by a limited number of doctors in the US - that uses skin grafts or flaps (skin flaps) to help with damaged tissue caused by radiation. It is called a DIEP-Flap procedure and is different from the more used TRAM-Flap procedure. The benefit of the DIEP is that no stomach muscle is used with the flaps. It's a pretty intricate procedure.
I spoke to my Oncologist about the procedure and she recommended a doctor in Michigan who did it (Dr. Studinger out of St. Johns). I was able to meet with this amazing doctor. She is one of the limited number of doctors who perform this very detailed surgery and she is one of a handful that perform Lymphnode Transplant surgery. I spoke to her regarding both procedures (as mentioned in a previous post I had 41 positive lymphnodes removed from my auxillary area near the breast cancer). The process with her started in April 2010 and has gone to September 2010 for the surgery. The process was long in some part by choice. I wanted to wait on having such a involved surgery until after Katie's 6th grade camp trip. I was able to chaperone and was so lucky for that opportunity.
On 9/28/2010, I underwent surgery. What is normally a 10-12 hour surgery, turned into a 2-day surgery that lasted 12 hours the first day and 15 hours the second day. I had a couple of complications that slowed her process down - but she was able to perform both the DIEP-Flap reconstruction and the Lymphnode Transplant. Recovery has been slow - coming out of so much anesthesia and surgery time took a toll on my body. I am gaining strength everyday.
The process will not end for a while. There will be a revision surgery and then a few more minor things for the whole process.
I'm blessed to have such a wonderful family and support system. Al has been a continuously amazing as a caregiver, husband, and father. My mother-in-law has done so much for me and has showed our family so much kindess. Support from my sisters and help with kids and pep-talks; support from my sister-in-laws who are always there with a card and phone call. And friends with cards/calls/flowers/candy/messages... It all means a lot to me.
That is the catch-up of the last year. I have been blessed too with having such a great support system with the support group I attend (Young Survival Coalition) and the friends I have made there. There were many more things that happened over the year with family and friends and trips and activities. I have continued with check-ups with all of my doctors and all is well with those.
I will not let another year go by... God Bless! Kristy

2 comments: